Data analysis and R programming
Chapter 1 Introduction
This course presents a 2-day introduction to data analysis and visualisation with R as well as certain programming topics. It is formatted as a
The material can be accessed here:
The source code for this document is available on GitHub at
We will install required packages as we go along. Before the course, participants should install a recent version of R (ideally the current release version) and RStudio, or any other editor of their choice.
- Morning: 9:30 - 13:00 (3 hours, with 30 min break)
- Afternoon: 14:00 - 17:00 (3 hours, with a shorter break)
- Setup and introduction
- Spreadsheets and tidy data
- Data manipulation using the tidyverse
- Visualisation with ggplot2
- Reproducible research with Rmarkdown
- R package development
- Viz. of high-dimensional data (bit.ly/highdimvis)
- Interactive visualisation: ggvis, shiny
- Navigate and mine Bioconductor for useful scripting components
- R programming concepts and tools
1.3 License and credits
This material is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License.
Some content is inspired by other sources, see the first paragraph in the respective chapters for credits.